Friday, August 2, 2013

Broadhead: Long shot white

Broadhead brewery are an Ottawa brewery that I have never been all that sure about.  Don't get me wrong, I love microbreweries of all types but many of the Broadhead beers I had tried in the past were not all that great.  Admittedly it has been a while since I had previously had any of their beer but when I recently tried their Long Shot White I was impressed! 

As advertised, Long Shot is a wheat ale.   At first glance it looks like any other wheat ale you have tried, pale, hazy, yellow, however the taste is different, more mellow than many wheat ales.  It has a very slight citrusy/orange taste but not as strong as prevalent as most other beers and it tastes less hoppy than a lot of other wheat beers.   I guess mellow is the best way to describe it, mellow and refreshing.   The traditional wheat flavour that most white beers have is also less pronounced in Long Shot than in most others, so those who don't like the wheaty flavour will appreciate it.  My overall impression is that this would be a great introduction to wheat beers for people unaccustomed to the style, but those who are aficionados of wheat beer might find it a little bit lacking in flavour.  As someone who is neither a newbie to the style nor a connoisseur I found Long Shot to be a nice, refreshing, summer beer but not something that I would go out of my way to find.

It's available at the brewery as well as at a variety of pubs and restaurants in Eastern Ontario as well as a couple in Kingston and Toronto, a full listing is available on their website. 

Rating: 3 Steins
If I was an expert on wheat beers: 2.5 steins.

What you need to know

Brewery
81 Auriga Drive, Unit 13
Ottawa, ON, K2E 7X7

Website
http://broadheadbeer.com/

twitter: @broadheadbeer

Facebook
Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment