Friday, July 26, 2013

Kichesippi Heller High water

Kichesippi are one of Ottawa's most prominent Craft Brewers and it surprised me when I noticed that I had yet to review any of their beers, so when one of their brews was the keg of the week at my local watering hole, the Rochester Pub, I jumped on the chance to 1) have a pint and 2) take notes to be able to review it. 

Heller High Water is a Bavarian style lager.  A beer for those 365 special days a year when many Bavarians like to go to the beer hall to have a maß (1 liter beer) or 4.  What first struck me is how pale and yellow it is, looks more like a wheat beer than a traditional barley lager.  It is a very smooth and drinkable beer, it goes down very easy but it felt as if though something is lacking in it.  I could see how it would be a good beer if you were planning on drinking 4 litres of it, but for a simple pint I found it to be underwhelming.  It does have a slight hop finish to it, which helps, but it still is a bit watery and lacking in flavour for my liking.  It is certainly not a bad beer, but there isn't anything special about it either.   I have had Bavarian style lagers that were better, but I have also had worse also.

It's available at their brewery in growlers and 6 packs as well as at some LCBO outlets in the National Capital Region (NCR for those fellow government employees).  It's also available on tap at some pubs throughout the city, their website has a more comprehensive list.  

Rating: In normal circumstances 2.5 Steins
           If I was wearing lederhosen: 3.5 Steins

What you need to know
Brewery address
866 Campbell Avenue,
Ottawa ON K2A 4C5

Website
www.kbeer.ca

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/KichesippiBeer?fref=ts

Twitter
@kichesippibeer


No comments:

Post a Comment