Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sawdust City Brewery: Red Rocket Coffee Stout

Now, I always support breweries trying new things, and Sawdust City love experimenting.  Red Rocket Coffee Stout is certainly a new idea but unfortunately new experiments don't always pan out, and sadly the Red Rocket I had at the National Capital Craft Beer festival was not very good.  

I like a good stout, I also like a good cup of coffee, and spices are great too, so I was genuinely intrigued by Sawdust City's red rocket when I went to their stand.  Unfortunately from my initial enthusiasm it all went downhill, maybe it was the batch they had but it was not a pleasant beer to drink.  It was really acrid and bitter, but not bitter in a good beer way, bitter in an unpleasant "cold cup of coffee" way.  In terms of spices, I was expecting something more Cinnamon and cayenne pepper but it tasted like they had dumped a bunch of Tabasco sauce in the batch.   I was also expecting some coffee flavour but I didn't get the coffee notes I was expecting, the acrid taste seemed to come from their being too much coffee, making it bitter and unpalatable.  This beer was almost painful to drink, and it was a real struggle to get through the 8 ounce portion I had.   I appreciate Sawdust City's experimentation but this one needs to go back to the drawing board. 

Red Rocket is a seasonal beer, so it will be available sporadically.  Despite my dislike of Red Rocket I am really intrigued by some of their other beers, I have it on good authority that some of their others like "The Princess wears girl pants" is a great beer, sadly they didn't have it on the day I was at the Beer fest.  Their website/blog has a whole list of places to get Sawdust City beers as well as descriptions of their wide varitety of brews.  Most of the places are in the GTA but there are a few others in Ontario.

Rating: 1 Stein (for effort)
What you need to know

They don't list an address for their brewery, but it is in Gravenhurst, Ontario.

Website
http://sawdustcitybeer.blogspot.ca/p/about-us.html

No comments:

Post a Comment