Friday, May 17, 2013

Muksoka Summer Weiss

I have always been a bit nervous about white beers.  It's not that there aren't a lot of great ones out there, it's that there are a lot of terrible ones as well (I'm looking at you Rickards) and there isn't much of a middle ground.   Also I don't like the idea of needing a piece of fruit to improve your beer, if the beer was any good in the first place then fruit wouldn't be necessary.   Despite my trepidation about wheat beers I decided to have a pint of Muskoka's Summer Weiss beer.  This was partly due to Muskoka's awesome track record and partly because it is the Friday before a long weekend and it is sunny out.  Whatever the reason it turned out to be a very good decision.

Muskoka Weiss is a German style white beer, that has a bit of a cloudy and darker in colour than most wheat beers.  At first I was a bit skeptical but as I had a few sips I quickly realized that this was indeed a very good beer.  It goes down nice and smooth with a good balance and slightly fruity flavours, hints of banana come through.  The flavour is almost sweet with the barley/wheat combo really rounding it out nicely. Some white beers have a bit of a sour flavour or try to add a bit too much hops to bitter the beer up, but Muskoka have resisted these urges in the name of creating a great summer beer.   Although this won't fully cure my skepticism about white beers, Muskoka Weiss is a great pint on a hot day sitting on a patio, although I am not sure it would be as good out of a bottle.  If you do buy a six pack then I suggest pouring it into a glass. 

You can get it at most beer stores and LCBO's throughout Ontario as well as on draught at various places.  If you are in that part of Ontario you could also drop by their brewery.

What you need to know
Brewery
1964 Muskoka Beach Road
Bracebridge, ON
P1L1V4

Website
http://www.muskokabrewery.com

Twitter
@MuskokaBrewery

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/muskokabrewery?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment