Saturday, May 25, 2013

Microbrew times on the road. Heartland Brewery: Farmer John's Oatmeal Stout

I wasn't expecting to be in New York City at all, however due to weather and United Airlines I ended up having to spend an evening in this area to catch a flight out of Newark airport the following morning.  When close to New York you should never pass up an opportunity to go into the big apple proper so that's what my friends Chad, Emily (who we met at the airport, also stranded), and I did.  We ended up wandering around Manhattan until we stumbled across Heartland Brewery (my beer spidey sense tingles when I see a sign for a brewery) and went there.  The beer I had was their Oatmeal Stout which was a very good choice.

Farmer John's Oatmeal Stout was surprisingly creamy.   I was honestly a bit skeptical (as I usually am) about it because in my mind the best Oatmeal Stout is from St. Ambroise and anything else is like comparing pie to the one made by your grandmother, there are some inherent biases that happen.  Anyways, Heartland Brewery's version is a very good one (but not as good as grandma's, I mean St. Ambroise's).  It is very smooth although the head is not as creamy as most stouts, and it is really clean tasting but still not too watery like Guinness.   It also has hints of espresso and dark chocolate to round out the flavour, which are nice touches.   If you are in New York City I would highly recommend it as you probably won't find a better stout in that area. 

Heartland Brewery has a few locations throughout Manhattan (7 as per their website) and the beer is brewed in Brooklyn.  I don't know of where else to get it but one of their pubs, and each of their pubs/restaurants has a different food theme.  They also do food-beer pairings which is cool.  

What you need to know
Website
http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/

Twitter:
@heartlandbrew

No comments:

Post a Comment