Monday, May 13, 2013

King Brewery: King Pilsner

The trouble with pilsners and lagers is it is very hard to stand out from the crowd and very hard to make something truly original.  I will admit that my taste for this kind of beer is not as refined as it is for darker or hoppier beers but I was underwhelmed by King Pilsner. 

In my experience, a Pilsner will be like a lager but with a bit more complexity to it, sort of like lager 2.0.  King Pilsner starts off right with a nice golden colour a bit of a nutty flavour to it, however it ends up tasting quite watery and not as refreshing as I was expecting it to be.  Maybe it was a situation of the keg needing to be changed, or maybe it is a case of me missing the point of a proper pilsner but to me it was nothing special.  I much prefer fellow Ontario pilsner Steam Whistle or the Czech original Pilsner Urquell.  Both of those beers are much less watery and are much more refreshing, and regular readers will be familiar with my disdain for watery beers.  In saying that I could see it being tasty on a really hot summer day as a first beer on a patio.   Despite my disappointment in King Pilsner I am curious to give some of their other beers a try as they seem to know what they are doing given some of the awards they have won for some of their other creations.

King Brewery beers are available at the brewery or across Ontario at the LCBO or Beer Store as well as in some parts of Alberta, however in my opinion you are better off getting Steam Whistle if you are looking for a good Ontario pilsner. 

What you need to know
King Brewery:
5645 King Road
Nobleton, Ontario
L0G 1N0

Website
www.kingbrewery.ca

Twitter: @kingbrewery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kingbrewery

2 comments:

  1. Pilsner is lager from the Pilsn region. It uses not much more than base malt and is mostly flavoured with Saaz hops that gives its distinctive flavour. Creemore has a good pilsner, I'll keep an eye out for some good ones for your. You're right, they are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Creemore is a good example, but sadly their brewery was bought by Molson in 2005 so I won't write about it.

    ReplyDelete