Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hog's Back: Aporkalypse Now

You gotta love it when breweries use bits of their name as inspiration for a new type of beer, and Hog's Back often use the pig motif in their advertising and in the case of Aporkalypse now, the beer style.  Aporkalypse now is described a Bacon stout, yes that is right, a Bacon stout.  Meat eaters everywhere rejoice as the everyone's favourite meat is mixed with beer, the world's favourite alcoholic beverage.

To say that I was excited about this concept would be an understatement, I was really looking forward to some bacony, stouty goodness but alas it was not to be.  Don't get me wrong, Aporkalypse now is a perfectly competent stout.  It is not creamy like an oatmeal stout, it is a little more bitter and acidic, in the veins of an Imperial Stout but without the extremely high alcohol percentage. When you take a sip it starts off smooth and progresses to this bitter and slightly acidic middle, this is followed by a nice malty finish.  It has an ever so slight smoky taste to it, but you really ahve to look for it.   Unfortunately what I was looking for was a taste of bacon, but it was nowhere to be found!  Maybe the batch I had was not as bacony as other ones, but I found myself being a bit distracted by the lack of bacon flavour that I struggled to appreciate this for the brew that it is.  I think that if Aporkalypse now was an absolutely amazing stout without bacon I would not have noticed so much, but the fact that it is good but not great left me disappointed.  If I had never been told that this was supposed to be a bacon stout I would have rated it much higher.

It's a seasonal so it will only be available at certain times.  It can be found on draught at a variety of pubs and restaurants around the Ottawa area.  Personally I had it at my local (the Rochester) pub but even there it was one of their rotating taps. 

Rating: 2.5 Steins (but would be 3.5 if I wasn't told it was supposed to taste like bacon).

 What you need to know

Unfortunately they don't list an address on their website, but here is the rest of their info
Website
http://hogsback.ca/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/HogsBackBrewingCompany

Twitter
@Hogsbackbrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment