Friday, September 13, 2013

Beau's: The Spruce Moose

Beau's is one of Eastern Ontario's most successful microbreweries.  Their lug tread lager is available at pubs and restaurants throughout Ontario and has been a huge success.  I haven't reviewed lug tread yet for two reasons 1) I prefer to review newer beers and ones fewer people have tried and 2) I don't find the lug tread to be particularly interesting.  Luckily Beau's are also quite adventurous and so I jumped on the chance to try the Spruce Moose APA. 

Spruce Moose is considered an APA or American Pale Ale.  This is a style that is considered to be decently hoppy but not as strong as an IPA but hoppier than a regular Pale Ale and in terms of hoppiness it definitely falls into that category.  Beau's describe this beer as being a spruce flavoured (hence the name) but when I was drinking it on tap I didn't really notice that, I only discovered that it was made with spruce tips when I checked their website afterwards.  Despite the lack of spruciness (which is probably not a real word) it is supposed to have, this is a very tasty beer.  It is not overly complicated but it is refreshing and it has enough hops to make you notice they are there.   At 33 IBU it is a good, mid range hoppy beer and I found it very refreshing on a cold and dreary day.  It is 6.2% but it doesn't taste that strong, so I would be careful as it could creep up on you, especially if you on the small side like me. 

It's available at their brewery as well as for home delivery.  It is also available at select pubs across Eastern Ontario.

Rating: 3.5 Steins

What you need to know
Brewery
10 Terry Fox Drive
Vankleek Hill, ON
K0B1R0

Website:
www.beau's.ca

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/BeausAllNaturalBrewingCo

Twitter
@beausallnatural

No comments:

Post a Comment